HI-Iceland celebrates its 70 years anniversary
Hostelling International-Iceland celebrated its 70 years anniversary in 2009, but the association was formed on March 2 1939. HI-Iceland is a member of Hostelling International, which in turn celebrated its 100 anniversary the same year.
Since its inception the organization's main goal has been to promote and encourage people of all ages to travel and to increase their knowledge and appreciation of nature and culture. To this end HI Iceland runs various projects, such as:
- Owning and running three hostels in Reykjavík
- Running a network of 29 privately-owned hostels in Iceland
- Managing Reykjavík Campsite
- Operation of the campsite at Slyppugil in Þórsmörk
- Travel agency and booking center in Reykjavík
The anniversary was celebrated throughout the whole year, e.g. in March the CEOs of Hostelling International worldwide held a meeting in Reykjavík.
Bookings and visits increased both by Icelandic and foreign guests during the anniversary year and HI-Iceland looks towards a bright future, built on a good foundation.